Losing Money on Material Handling?admin
It is estimated that up to 80% of labor on an electrical construction job site is spent on material handling and yet many contractors fail to account for this time in their bids.
To prevent lost revenue, be sure to include labor units for the following when you are preparing your next bid:
Handling Rough-in Materials
Getting pipe, boxes, fittings, and light fixtures to the job site takes up precious time.
To cut down on congestion, larger cities often require scheduled deliveries of materials to the construction trailer – adding headache and taking time away from an already rushed job.
Locating Stored Materials
A disorganized storage location can cause hours of unnecessary searching for materials and in worst case scenarios can require duplicate orders of materials if supplies go undiscovered.
Transporting Materials to Point of Installation
Many construction sites are large and busy with activity. Getting materials from the storage center to the point of installation is time that should be accounted for.
Unboxing or Staging Material
Getting materials out of the original packaging and onto carts is time-consuming.
Proper disposal of used shipping containers, empty spools, and other trash should also be accounted for.
Another tip for saving time and money is using the iTOOLco Freedom Cart, which was designed specifically to cut some of these material handling costs. Whether your application is prefabbing or on the job site, the Freedom Cart is a multipurpose cart that satisfies many needs.
- Equipped with 6 sturdy shelves allowing the electrician to be organized.
- Boxes on one shelf, 1/2″ material on another, 3/4″ on another, 1″ on another and so on.
- The lower uprights on the cart allow for storage of strut and pipe.
- Once rough-in is complete and you need to start pulling branch circuits, simply fold the shelves up and the Freedom Cart will accept 18 2500′ spools and 36 500′ spools.
- The Freedom Cart holds boxes of wire such as data wire and low voltage.
- The Freedom Cart will also fit through a 30″ doorway when loaded.
Questions? Call us at 865-670-3713.